So I had a dental appointment on Wednesday. I usually hate to go not because I’m treated badly, but because I usually have either cavities or another tooth ready to give up the ghost. This time I had both.
Apparently from my prolonged use of medications (prednisone and chemo) I have a condition called “dry mouth.” This condition allows the bacteria to flourish much quicker than it would if a person had a normal mouth.
So I had two cavities and one molar on its way. It really needs a crown. Now comes the special circumstances and you thought that the special circumstances were the disease and medications. Oh no — I have another genetic problem.
Small mouth and big teeth. When the dentist put in the last crown, I could hardly keep my mouth open. My jaw cracks now every time I open it. I had an impression done of my teeth when I lost one of my bottom molars (same reason) and they had to use a child’s mold. When someone (anyone, even a toothbrush) is at that back molar I give up my stomach contents.
It gives me a problem. I can wait for 6 months to a year and have the tooth pulled or I can try for a crown. As you probably can guess the prices are in favor of the pull. Plus that would be the third tooth on the same side of my mouth. I wouldn’t be able to chew there at all.
I would have a zig zag pattern on that side of the mouth. I really would like to save the tooth. There is another problem. Even if the dentist successfully crowns that tooth, I may lose it in two years or more.
Dang– I just don’t know what to do.