The continuing saga

Update: I went to Quest to get some blood drawn. It was about nine vials. I had to cancel my pre-op appointments because they must be done a certain time before surgery (two months is too far away). So waiting for the biopsy appointment.

Today I prepare to get some blood drawn for my new doctor, Dr. Wang. Now I have the right doctor. I have been pushing for someone to care for my thyroid problem ever since i discovered that the biopsy said a nodule in my neck had papillary carcinoma (translated cancer).

This is the doctor that is really hard to get to. I had to run through hoops with my primary care and my insurance. Then I had to get my brother involved because it looked like at least one of the doctor’s offices dropped the ball. It became a stressful mess for me.

On my appointment I was prepared for more of the same runarounds. I was resigned when one of the younger doctors took down my story and listened to what I had to say. Then he checked my neck.

Moments later I could hear him talk to Dr. Wang. Apparently the diagnostic team had dropped the job. They should have done a biopsy and more than one nodule and the lymph nodes.

Dr. Wang bustled into the room and I knew immediately that I would listen to what he had to say. I felt confidence from him and in me about his abilities. In my life as a professional “sickie,” you don’t meet too many doctors who are in the doctoring business as a calling.

And then I had the greatest shock. This doctor treated patients with my disease. He checked to make sure I didn’t have active Wegener’s disease in my sinuses. My sinuses and throat were clear.

Then he talked to me about the thyroid cancer. I could have a complete thyroidectomy–but in the field they had had more successes with partials. It was up to me. I said that I was prepared to lose the entire thing. But, I would be happier with a partial if we could get away with it. I am much luckier with at least something– i.e. I have some of my kidneys and I don’t have to deal with a transplant.

Well, the biopsy wasn’t enough to know if I could have a partial. So instead of scheduling me for a full thyroidectomy, I will now get some more diagnostic tests done. Then I will know if there is any cancer in the other side of my thyroid or in my lymph nodes.

Other than I feel slightly sick and really tired. I think I can handle waiting so that he can do this surgery properly.


About Cyn Bagley

My life is a mixture of travel, jobs, and disease. You can find some of my novels on under the name Cyn Bagley.
This entry was posted in Chronic disease, illness, Thyroid Journey and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s